Thursday, October 21, 2010

Companies Using Twitter to Announce Jobs

I can't say this really surprised me, but with all of our class discussion about social media I found it interesting that companies are now using Twitter to announce holiday jobs. UPS, Crate and Barrel, and Kohls are some of the companies that are using Twitter to recruit holiday staff. Interestingly, Crate and Barrel said that they didn't receive nearly as many inquires as they had anticipated. I wonder if it's because Twitter isn't narrowly focused, so the chance that people in Edina Minnesota saw the tweet is small, or if people just aren't aware that they can use Twitter to look for jobs.

The article talks about how job seekers need to start using Twitter more often to look for job openings because it enables them to find out about them first, giving them a better chance at getting the job. I'm sure that in the future, more companies and job seekers will start utilizing Twitter.

Here's the article.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cassi,

    Thanks for posting--this is really interesting and I feel like I can now point my sisters to Twitter to look for holiday employment!

    It seems this might be a good strategy for targeting key publics such as younger people (I'm assuming here that Twitter is mainly used by younger people) who are more often looking for temporary holiday employment than older people.

    On a side note, I was also thinking about Twitter and boycotts. I wonder if anyone has tried a Twitter "boycott" as activism. One example would be "unfollowing" Target in protest of their campaign contribution earlier this year. Hmm....

    ReplyDelete