Friday, October 1, 2010

Advertising Strategies Within Youtube and Google

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-plesser/video-google-currency-of_b_746922.html

We've talked a lot about how Facebook is using a lot of advertising in different ways including within popular games. Here is an example of advertisers using Google and Youtube. They are offering users a choice of three ads to view before watching a video. The advertiser only has to pay for the add if it is selected to be viewed. Google says that this is ideal because the user has a choice of what they would like to view and can choose what they would find most interesting or entertaining. It's also ideal for the advertiser because they don't have to pay for advertisements that aren't viewed.

I feel that this is a trade off for something that is "free." Youtube and Google are free to use, but forcing advertisement viewing before being able to use their "free" service makes it not longer free. However they are doing this in a way that is somewhat user friendly. What do you think? Is being forced to choose an advertisement still better than having to pay? I would probably say yes, but on the other hand, if it gets too annoying I just won't use it anymore...

1 comment:

  1. I personally think that being forced to choose an advertisement is still better than having to pay. Do I think that the amount of advertising on free Internet media is overwhelming sometimes? Yes. Just in order to watch this video clip I had to view a short advertisement. All the apps on my iphone are free but there are several advertisements I have to view in order to use each one. In order to use the same apps without advertisements I would have to purchase the no ad app on the itunes store. These “free” media sites are perfect opportunities for product placement. Youtube is second only to Google for search engines. Of course companies are going to want to place their ads on such popular sites. I do think that giving the viewer the choice of what ad to view is an advantage for the companies placing the ads. Usually I just passively watch the ads, but if I had to actually click on an ad selection prior to viewing the video I want to see then I will automatically be more aware and conscious of what I’m viewing.

    ReplyDelete